5 small cups, masking tape, pen or pencil, several toothpicks,
sugar, salt, vinegar, unsweetened grapefruit juice (or very strong
unsweetened tea), paper towels, a parent or grandparent
1. Get your parentsí permission!
2. Draw a tongue-shaped diagram
on a piece of paper.
3. Use your pencil and tape to
label the five cups: SWEET, SOUR, BITTER, SALTY, WATER
4. Measure 1/4 tsp. of the
following ingredients into separate cups: sugar, salt, vinegar, and
unsweetened grapefruit juice or tea.
5. Add 1 Tbsp. of water to each
of the cups and fill the fifth cup with plain water.
6. Lay out four toothpicks.
7. Have a parent dip a toothpick
in the sweet solution and touch it to various areas on your tongue.
When you taste the sweetness in any spot, make a small x on your
tongue diagram in the same spot.
8. Rinse your mouth completely
with the plain water.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 with the
other mixtures. Use a different symbol on your tongue diagram to
represent the different mixtures.